Skip to main content

Featured

This Case Is Closed: The Enduring Enigma of Tom Verlaine

One of the great punk records is Marquee Moon by Television. Of course, that's a contradiction. There's nothing punk about Television really, except that they appear at the right time, in the right place, and Richard Hell is briefly in the band, and he has some claim to be the inventor of the punk look, with the spiky hair and the safety pins. But there is only one TV in Television, and Hell is gone long before Marquee Moon appears. Marquee Moon doesn’t need a category. It’s a record of jagged imagery in which the voice is a nagging shadow and the guitars - of Verlaine and Richard Lloyd - do the talking. Patti Smith compares Verlaine’s guitar to a thousand bluebirds. What they are talking about, I still can’t fathom. Marquee Moon is a timeless mystery. I talk to Tom Verlaine on the phone. This is probably better than talking to him in person. On a transatlantic phone line there is an excuse for the delays and the hesitations and the awkward silences. We are talking a full

RIP Wee Jinky, Your Rowboat to Paradise Awaits: Jimmy Johnstone 1944-2006


In more innocent days, when I was of the age to get jumped, abused in the street and kicked in, I used to wear a Celtic scarf. I had done it since infancy, and saw no reason to rethink the practice when I accidentally moved to Aberdeen. The Granite City was cold; a scarf was necessary. Then, one day, as I wandered past the Art Gallery after a trip to One Up in search of unlistenable records by Cabaret Voltaire, I found myself standing on a kerbside. A white van drew up, the windows rolled down, and the inhabitants proceeded to abuse me in a manner which tested the boundaries of their joint vocabularies. The basis of their verbal jousting was, I think, loosely ecumenical.
Well, that was the last time I wore the hooped scarf. I lost interest in the football for a while there, too, preferring to spend my time watching art students in baggy jumpers pretending they knew how to play a musical instrument. The timing of my footballing disaffection could not, I now realise, have been worse. At this point, unlikely as it seems, Aberdeen were a great side. On those clear, bright European nights, as the floodlights burned holes in the sky, I could hear the cheers echoing as I settled down in my student cell to watch Coronation Street.
In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t been on that kerbside wearing that scarf on that day. I wish I had been sanguine enough to realise that the violence of young men will find a cause, and it might just as easily have been my electric pink trousers. After all, I did not abandon music just because I received a kicking after my first night out in Aberdeen, at a concert by the Adverts (though I did walk home in the dark more quickly, and with a nagging fear of shadows).
Indeed, the musical equivalent of the abusive football van occurred a few years later. I was walking over the bridge towards the harbour, dodging the frozen fish on the pavement and inhaling the famous Torry pong, when a malevolent Transit pulled up. The graffiti on the van told me that it carried the half-famous, quarter-talented, psychobilly band, The Meteors, though I could have guessed as much from their dayglo Mohican haircuts. They were looking for Valhalla, a discotheque where Odin’s Shield-Maidens - virgins with golden hair and snowy arms - served meat and everlasting mead to the heroic clientele. (Well, they sold beer, and there was occasional dancing.) I supplied directions - travel away from the smell, follow the fish, turn right when you see the rusty trawler - and was surprised when the band thanked me for my assistance by calling me a cunt and a poof.
Gradually, the football returned, though mostly from the comfort of an armchair. Contrary to popular myth, this is not a soft option. Since my Airfix 18" narrowscreen set was wired to receive extra-terrestrial signals, it has been possible to watch football on most nights of the week, and if there isn’t football there is usually a studio full of men with square heads and furrowed brows discussing groin strains and imaginary transfer deals. Sometimes, when I abandon all pretence of having a life, there is a programme which has Jimmy Hill’s name in the title, and Jimmy Hill in the studio, pretending to drink coffee while a man with a square head chairs a discussion about the sports pages of the Sunday papers. It is bit like watching five blind tailors arguing over a thimble.
Over the years, I have often found myself forced to defend the fact that as a non-Catholic boy from the East Coast, I grew up supporting Celtic. The question is a loaded one, as it implies that football is a matter of geographical coincidence rather than free will: you should support your local team. Well, that argument might have worked in the days before television and public transportation, but I’m not sure how relevant it is now. I chose to support Celtic because, to an innocent mind, they seemed to embody a sense of possibility. They played with energy, skill and invention and they won everything. And, in the diminutive Jimmy Johnstone, the team had a genius. Not a genius like Pele or Eusebio, whose talents seemed to come from another planet, but a freckled, red-haired boy of a man whose skill was matched only by his cheek.
So there I was the other night, in Paradise, as the Lisbon Lions trooped out with the European Cup. It was a strange moment to witness, since the Lions no longer resemble athletes. They looked like a bowls team out for a stroll on the rough turf, these silver-haired gents in green blazers. Were Billy McNeill’s legs always that bandy? Did Tommy Gemmell always carry a paunch? And look, now: who is the boy in the outsize blazer, wandering towards the edge of the centre circle, as if in search of a ball?
In honour of Jinky, I bought another scarf.
From the Scotsman, 24/01/03

Comments

Popular Posts